Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Miso Marinated Pork Tenderloin


Miso is one of the most important ingredients in Japanese households along with soy sauce. We do not eat sushi everyday as some non-Japanese people think, but many have miso soup daily.  The custom has been changing as Japan has become more and more westernized.  I used to have miso soup once a day when I lived with my grandparents.  Miso soup was part of every dinner.  My grandparents had to have it also for breakfast, as if they couldn't start the day without it.  Infinitely more westernized than my grandparents, I don't like miso that early in the day.  Instead, I prefer a cup of coffee and a slice of toast.  Having said that, miso soup is still essential for all Japanese.

Miso is not only for miso soup.  It can be used for many other dishes, and one of my favorite ways to use this traditional ingredient is for marinating.  A miso marinade adds depth to the meat.  Generally, sirloin is a good choice for this dish, but for health purposes, I used tenderloin. My husband and I were very satisfied with the results.  We ate the leftovers, cold, the next day, and it was still flavorful. If you are healthy enough to be careless about fat intake, go ahead and use fattier cuts. You know it's going to taste better!  If you are not a pork eater, try this marinade with salmon.  It's good, too!


Miso Marinated Pork Tenderloin Print Recipe

QuantityIngredients
1 pound pork tenderloin  
3 Tbspmiso paste 
2 Tbspsake
1 Tbspmirin
2 tsphoney
1 inchginger, grated
1 clovegarlic, grated

oil

Directions
  1. Prepare Meat: Cut the pork diagonally into ¾ inch-wide slices.
  2. Prepare Marinade: In a marinating bowl (or tupperware), mix all the ingredients except the pork.
  3. Add the pork slices to the marinade and coat each slice with the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1~3 hours.
  4. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the pork slices in the skillet and saute until fully cooked, about three minutes per side. Serve with rice and your choice of vegetable.

Serves 2~3

0 comments: