Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Homemade Yogurt


A co-worker grows herbs in the garden and yogurt in the house. Mint and Asian basil are already planted in my garden, and the yogurt is the new-comer from her household. You may be wondering how she “grows” yogurt. Well, she has “yogurt seeds”, a.k.a. yogurt culture, and she simply gave me some of her yogurt which had live cultures in it. I say “seeds” just because it doesn't sound good if I say I'm growing bacteria in my home. I sanitize the mason jar and place about 1/3 cup of the yogurt then pour in about three cups of milk. Within 24 hours, the milk becomes yogurt, then it goes into refrigerator.  I repeat the same process with the yogurt I just made. Yogurt has become one of my most frequently used ingredients. It's economical considering the price of yogurt and compare to milk, but more importantly, it's emotionally satisfying getting closer to truly raw materials.

0 comments: