Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins


Whenever my husband and I visit his parents, my mother-in-law always cooks healthy yet tasty dishes throughout our entire stay.  I usually sit down on the couch, get an lecture on food science from my father-in-law, who happens to be a grain chemist, and wait for the dinner.  I'm so spoiled.  I enjoy every meal she prepares, and on our last visit, I got particularly hooked on her banana muffins.  I couldn't get enough of them.  I ate them for breakfast, snacks, and midnight snacks. It was less sweet and less oily than regular muffins and reminded me of  the old time cupcakes I ate as a kid.  It was so good that I asked for the recipe.  Using her recipe as a base, I created my own banana muffin recipe, and here it is.



Whole Wheat Banana Muffins Print Recipe

QuantityIngredients
1egg
1/4 cupsugar
1/3 cuphoney
1/2 cupoil
2/3 cupsoy milk(or regular milk)
3~4banana, mashed
3/4 tspbaking soda
3/4 tspbaking powder
1 tspcinnamon powder
heavy pinch salt
2 cupswhole wheat flour
2/3~3/4 cupwalnuts

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place baking cups in each cup in the muffin tin. (or lightly grease the cups, sprinkle flour, then shake off excess flour. )
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg and sugar until the mixture becomes pale yellow. Mix in the honey, oil, and soy milk, then add bananas.
  3. Sprinkle baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon powder and salt over the mixture and mix in.
  4. Add the flour to the mixture and mix with spatula until it's incorporated. Fold in the walnuts.
  5. Add the mixture to the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick near the center. If it comes out clean, it's done. Take out the muffins from the tin, and cool on a rack.

  Yields 12 muffins

2 comments:

Kath said...

I've got 3 bananas that are just about ripe enough, and I bought some walnuts. Your muffins look like a good way to use them!

EMK said...

Kath, I love having these muffins for breakfast. I hope you like them too!!